QUALITY ASSURANCE POLICY
Quality Assurance (QA) in Higher Education is a core objective for the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a collaboration of 45 European member states, among which Greece (Law 3374/2005). European Higher Education Institutions are fully committed to catering for high standards of education and fostering responsibility towards students and the society, as far as high quality education standards are concerned.
The Quality Assurance Unit of the University of Western Macedonia is a central coordinating committee, responsible for monitoring the university quality assurance and accreditation processes, which are focused on consistently improving quality of the University study programmes, research and administrative services, and implementing the Internal Quality System of the University.
The Mechanical Engineering Department collaborates with the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) and the relevant Internal Evaluation Groups (IEG), assigned with implementing all processes scheduled by the Internal Quality Assurance System, and compiling data and information for internal evaluation reports, which are forwarded to the QAU.
The Quality Assurance Policy of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is congruent with the Quality Assurance policy of the University of Western Macedonia (UoWM), which is focused on the concept of multidimensional quality to endorse the fundamental values of scientific progress, student satisfaction, scientific excellence, innovation and commitment to knowledge dissemination, as described in the Course Guide.
In addition, Quality Assurance is associated with the work and performance of the Department Laboratories, which provide for reliable and competent product development services, industrial systems for testing and diagnostics, as well as environmental protection projects and research. QA policy is consistent with the accreditation criteria (Law 4009/2011, no. 70 – 72) and the Principles and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG 2015), and in line with the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA) standards.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering fosters responsibility towards the students, and all staff members (academic staff, research associates and administrative staff) for:
- implementing and enhancing the efficiency of the Quality Management System (QMS), and providing, in cooperation with the University Quality Assurance Unit, for all financial, technical and human resources required
- ensuring that course structure and design as well as staff qualifications meet high quality academic standards, and that learning outcomes and student qualifications are congruent with the European and National Higher Education Qualifications Framework
- promoting research quality and capacity, and working towards building a strong bond between teaching and research to enhance graduates’ acquired qualifications and career prospects
- improving service quality (administration, libraries, student welfare)
- enhancing undergraduate and postgraduate courses, by applying Quality Management System reviews and evaluations of all relevant processes on a regular basis and, if necessary, re-examining quality objectives
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is engaged in planning staff in-service and communication actions on Quality Policy, and setting objectives, in compliance with Quality Assurance Policies to ensure that implementation conditions and requirements are followed. The specific framework requires that relevant regulations for all functions and processes be enforced. All members of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Western Macedonia are focused on endorsing competitiveness by constantly improving the quality of in-service training, research and services.