Professor Nickolas S. Sapidis
|Position||Professor of Computational Design and Analysis of Machine Elements|
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Western Macedonia
Bakola & Sialvera Str.
Kozani GR-50100, GREECE
Tel: +30-24610-56608, +30-24610-56600
Fax: +30 24610 56601
|Relationship||Professor since 2009|
|Areas of Specialization||
Nickolas S. Sapidis has been a Professor of “Computational Design and Analysis of Machine Elements” with the University of Western Macedonia since 2009.
He received a Diploma in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (Greece: 1985), an M.A. in Applied Mathematics at the University of Utah (USA: 1987), and an M.S. and a Ph.D. in Mechanical and Aerospace Sciences at the University of Rochester (USA) in 1988 and 1993, respectively. He was a faculty member with the Department of Product & Systems Design Engineering of the University of the Aegean (Greece: 2001-2009), and he has also taught at the Hellenic Air Force Academy, the National Technical University of Athens, the University of Athens, and the Polytechnic University of Catalunya (Spain).
N. Sapidis has been pursuing/supervising research on “Mechanical Design”, “Computer-Aided Design (CAD)”, “Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE)”, “Geometric & Solid Modeling”, “Virtual Engineering”, and “Computer Graphics”. He is the author of more than 50 papers on the above subjects. His research has been implemented in industrial CAD/CAE systems by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and companies including General Motors (GM), Intergraph and Tribon Solutions. His industrial experience on CAD/CAE includes GM R&D Center and GM Design Center (USA) as well as the Marine Technology Development Co (Greece).
N. Sapidis has served on the Program Committee of more than 40 international conferences, and was an “invited Keynote Speaker” for 7 international conferences. N. Sapidis has given “invited lectures” at numerous conferences, Universities and corporations in Asia, Europe and the US.
N. Sapidis is on the editorial board of several international scientific journals, including these: Computer-Aided Design, Virtual and Physical Prototyping, International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, International Journal of Product Development, International Journal of Design Engineering, International Journal of Intelligent Engineering Informatics, 3D Research, Engineering Mathematics Letters, and International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology.
113 Mechanical Engineering Drawing I
146 Mechanical Engineering Drawing II
242 Computer-Aided Design
|Selected Publications in International Scientific Journals||
1) Giagopoulos, I. Chatziparasidis, N. Sapidis, "Dynamic and Structural Integrity Analysis of a Complete Elevator System through a Mixed Computational-Experimental Finite Element Methodology", Engineering Structures 160, pp. 473-487, 2018.
2) Chatziparasidis, D. Giagopoulos, N. Sapidis, "Simulated Dynamic Finite-Element Experiments and Automatic Assembly Synthesis for Mechanical Design Automation", International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management 11(1), pp. 19-46, 2018.
3) Gabrielides, N. Sapidis, "C1 Sign, Monotonicity and Convexity Preserving Hermite Polynomial Splines of Variable Degree", Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 343, pp. 662-707, 2018.
4) Chatziparasidis, N. Sapidis, "Framework to Automate Mechanical-System Design using Multiple Product-Models and Assembly Feature Technology", International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management 10(2), pp. 124-150, 2017.
5) Kostas, A. Platis, N. Sapidis, "Performability Assessment of Standalone Photovoltaic Residential Systems", International Journal of Performability Engineering 12(5), pp. 485-500, 2016.
6) Cordier, H. Seob, M. Melkemi, N. Sapidis, "Inferring Mirror Symmetric 3D Shapes from Sketches", Computer-Aided Design 45(2), pp. 301-311, 2013.
7) Melkemi, F. Cordier, N. Sapidis, "A Provable Algorithm to Detect Weak Symmetry in a Polygon", International Journal of Image and Graphics 13(1), Article 1350002 [28 pages], 2013.